Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A look back at Danica's first year


I really need to catch up on my blog. After Danica was born, I began blogging on a Shutterfly Share account that I linked to my families email accounts. However, I love reading blogs and would like to keep this blog going. I've got a lot of catching up to do, so today I'm going to start by cutting and pasting my updates on Danica's Shutterfly blog. But don't get too excited, I stopped updating that one after 9 months and turned to Microsoft Word to document her milestones. I'm going to add that stuff as well. Here is the Shutterfly blog:

5 weeks old
Danica started smiling and "playing". We got a play gym for her and give her lots of tummy time. She likes to sleep on her side the best and has rolled over on her own- from side to tummy or side to back, but has not rolled completely back to front or vice versa. She is eating well, but I'm having a hard time getting her to take a bottle. I should have started the bottle from the beginning, but I have really enjoyed breastfeeding and sharing that time with her, so her not taking a bottle is one of those frustrations that's worth it. Especially since I know she won't because she prefers her mommy :)

8 weeks old
Danica is finally taking the bottle and just in time to start daycare next week! She has discovered her hands and finally grabs objects in front of her. She also likes to "talk" to her toys and to the tv. She is kicking her legs a lot and can kick them up to roll over on her side.

13 weeks old
Danica started daycare this past week. I had a little separation anxiety at first, but as the week went by and Danica seemed happy, I was fine. I had often heard that it is harder than the mother than for the baby. By Tuesday she was greeting her teacher with a smile!

I can't believe Danica is 3 months old now! We took her out to a restaurant for the first time (Macaroni Grill). Marjorie, Travis, and Chelsea went with us. We also had Easter pictures made (you'll be getting yours soon). At this point, she grabs her toys and pulls them to her mouth. Marjorie and I also caught her move a link from her link set from one hand to the other. She moves her head towards voices now. I'm working on giving her extra tummy time to try and get her to roll from her tummy to her back. She lifts her head and chest up really good, though. It's amazing the crazy things you'll do to get a baby to do something as simple as hold a toy... and forget about taking a picture of it... by the time you click, she's dropped it. I do have a picture here of her in her swing holding her frog. So cute!!!!

15 weeks old
Danica has her first cold. We took her to the doctor yesterday, but they don't suggest drug therapy at this age. He did make some other suggestions. We are giving her saline drops to help with her congestion and propping her up to help her to sleep. She doesn't have a fever at this point. I hope things don't take a turn for the worse. I'm sure it's a combination of the pollen falling and getting used to being around other children at the daycare. She is doing well otherwise. She likes to stare at people's mouths so she can try and mimic what they say. Sometimes what she says really does sound like words, but I know she isn't really talking. But it's helping her learn to talk, so I purposely chant sounds to her to help her along.

17 weeks old
Danica had her 4 month old shots yesterday. She did great. She is 25% or under for weight, height, and head circumference. She is a little baby! She isn't quite 12 pounds yet and only grew a 1/2 an inch in a month. We are now going to start her on cereal. We have put rice in her bottle a couple of times, but they suggested we feed her the rice and cereal from a bowl so she gets used to taking a spoon. So we tried last night... loved the spoon, hated the rice! It was funny. We'll upload those pics soon. She is rolling over from her tummy to her back really well now and she told Marjorie "hey" on Saturday. I don't think she realized what she was saying, but Marjorie was really excited! She really is trying to mimic people who talk to her. I thought she was too young for all this... everything is happening so fast! I'm just trying to enjoy every moment!

19 weeks old
At this point, Danica has been eating a bit of cereal each night. I found a cereal that she really likes. I posted a couple of pictures from her first feeding. She takes what is in the spoon, swallows what she wants of it, and spits the rest out. And she still only takes a few bites before she is tired of it. She'll get the hang of it. She still loves to play and can keep her toys in her hand much longer now. She's starting to get a bit more dangerous. With little control over her hand, she just waves her toys back and forth. We watch her carefully so she won't hit her forehead with her teething keys. Speaking of teething... no tooth yet, but she knaws on everything she can get her hands on. And she loves to kick her legs... it's getting tougher to change her diaper as she loves to throw her legs in the air!

5 months old
Danica can hold her own bottle now! We also gave her baby food for the first time Sunday- bananas! She loved them! We tried pears last night, but she didn't like them at all. It's a bit early to start her on jar food, but we feel strongly that she is ready considering that she has stopped pushing her cereal out and that she seems really interested when watching us eat lately. We won't substitute it for a bottle yet, though. She only eats about 1/2 a jar and then I give her less in her bottle than times when she isn't eating something else. She finally knows her name. She turns her head towards you when you say "Danica". She is also trying to sit up now and is rolling over onto her tummy more than normal. Looks like she might be crawling soon!

6 Months Old
Danica officially has a tooth coming in. We noticed it over the weekend. We took her on her first beach trip for the fourth. I didn't know how things would go, so I made sure our hotel had a pool and took a baby float. We went with Jonathan, Dama, and their 11 month old son, Jack. Danica isn't crawling yet and Jack is a walker, but the two of them managed to play well together. It was sweet. On our trip, Danica experienced the pool, the sand, the ocean, and fireworks. She seemed to love it all. I was nervous about taking her to see fireworks, but she didn't even look at them. Balloons and a neon light stick caught her attention most of the night. I'm sure things will be different next year. At this point, she has been eating a fruit everyday in the am and we are now introducing vegetables for dinner. So far she likes sweet potato, squash, and carrot. We are going to try peas this week. She is also starting to move to 4 hours between feedings and she is sleeping through the night most of the days in a week. She really has been practicing sitting up and getting up on her hands and knees. Looks like she may be crawling in a month or so.

8 months old
Danica is CRAWLING! And boy, she is into everything! Amazingly enough, she only started crawling last Thursday and she is already pulling up on things. She is even putting a foot on the floor as though she is trying to stand. She may be an early walker... but I'm not rushing it. I'm actually a little nervous about this crawling thing. She seems to only be interested in dangerous objects around the house... like how she was interested in the fireplace last night. Other than that, we've introduced her to some table foods over the past month. It all started with Mary Lee and Cheerios. Once we discovered it was safe to break stuff up and give it to her, we let her try different things. She has had watermelon, banana, mango, avacado, tomato... and has liked them all. Bad mommy even let her try a cheeto once. But I'll wait and introduce snack foods after she turns one. I'm trying to put junk off as long as I can. So we haven't given her cake, icecream, or anything like that. We've decided to wait until her birthday for that stuff. I also don't feed her juice. I decided that fruits were good enough and when when give her a drink with her meal, she just has water. I grew up on tea and pepsi and decided that if I wanted Danica to like water, I better start her early. Most of her meals now include a bottle or Stage 2 baby foods. She still only has 2 teeth so I'm not ready to give her anything too chunky. BF is still going well. I'm determined to BF her until she is one. As a matter of fact, bf give her all the nutrients she needs and some peds feel you can bf exclusively until one. However, I decided if I don't introduce her to her foods now, I'm going to have a hard time ending the bf, and she seems to enjoy eating all different types of foods, so why not? Anyway, I added more pictures and hope you enjoy them. We'll be in Greenville this weekend. Danica is tailgating with us (but not going to the game, so I'm sure many of you will see her).

9 months old
At this point, Danica has graduated to Stage 3 baby food and Size 3 diapers. She eats three meals a day along with two bottles and a bf first thing in the morning and at bedtime. She is still trying to pull herself up to standing. As a matter of fact, she likes to pull up on my step board and then climb onto it with her knees. Once she’s on, she can turn herself around to a sitting position. So cute! She is still on the go and is into everything. And sneaky… it’s amazing what she’ll find that goes directly into her mouth. This past weekend, she found an earring. I had just turned and saw her putting something in her mouth. I was so glad I caught that… and no telling what she has been successful in swallowing. It’s pretty scary! She is also trying to pull up in the bathtub, which makes me nervous, because she has slipped a couple of times onto her tummy. She just laughs… and then she gets right back up to try it again. I don’t really like it, but I’ve started to hold onto her when she tries it. She likes it and it’s practice, so why not? And I try to distract her with toys… doesn’t work. She knows she is supposed to learn to pull up now so she can learn to walk. And I can’t fight a woman on a mission! Anyway, things are going great. Danica is learning so much. They say at this age, babies find a toy they grow attached to. About a month ago, I noticed how excited she would get when I offered her a blue teether toy that is shaped like an “8”. I started calling it “numb numb” and would offer it to her every morning in the car. She has really become attached to it. So much that I refuse to leave a place unless we have it. The other night, I found it inches away from her and asked her where her numb-numb was. Do you know she sat right up, looked around, eyed it, crawled to it, grabbed it, sat down, and showed it to me???? I was so proud! And now… she has started saying “mamamama” and “dadadada”. And while I’m not sure, yet, it seems like she is really talking about us. Especially since she says it when she wants something we have. She also said “hey” again recently. I’ve repeated that word to her from the beginning, so I’m not surprised. She seems to be really smart, or maybe I’m just partial because she’s mine. It’s just so amazing to watch her learn the very things we have mastered that we now take for granted. You just never know what’s going to come next!

No comments: