Friday, April 1, 2011

Covenant Church, Winterville, N.C.

I’m participating in Kelly’s Korner “Show Us Your Life Series”. Today’s topic is, “Show Us Your Church”.

Joe and I attend Covenant Church in Winterville, N.C. http://www.connect2covenant.com/ We’ve only been attending regularly for 4 months (We attended Joe’s maternal family’s church some before we moved away and started attending Covenant when we moved back home).

While I have fond memories of Sunday School, Vacation Bible School, and singing in the Children's Choir when I was little, I haven't attended church regularly in years. And it's not because I don't believe in God. I learned to pray and talk to God when I was very young and have always loved him and included him in everything. I just stopped going to church. When I was going through a rough spot in my life, the church family I knew and loved abandoned me. And since I was a teenager then, I became untrustworthy of adults who "go to church to gossip about people." So I decided that you didn't have to go to church to love God. But the older I got, the more forgiving I became. And then I had Danica and going to church just made sense. I decided that if I want to lead Danica to our Lord, it was important to give her all the opportunities I had and more. So when we moved back home in August, we set out to find a church for our family!

Covenant is one of the largest churches in Greenville. Every weekend, they offer 3 services to accommodate everyone. This includes a service on Saturday night and two services Sunday morning. All of the services are contemporary and feature a Praise Team. They play every musical instrument you can think of and sing some of my favorite songs from Hillsong United, Chris Tomlin, Kari Jobe, etc. Pastor Branson Sheets is amazing. He is honest and humorous in his sermons and teaches the Bible in ways that make sense. I really appreciate the time he devotes to his messages. He taught the Beatitudes over an 8 weeks period! I love how patient he is with his congregation!

Danica attends Sunday School class while we are in service. She LOVES it. She asks all week for church and is so excited Sunday morning when it’s time to go. As a matter of fact, I just attended Covenant’s 412 series (a series of workshops on topics dear to our hearts- this one was on parenting children to Christ with Voddie Bauchaum) this past weekend on Friday night and Saturday morning. Church Sunday morning meant she was in class three times and she never complained. She is always happy to go!

Instead of Sunday school and Wednesday night Bible Study, Covenant hosts groups. Bible study groups, Book Clubs, Support groups, Game nights, Supper nights, etc. Each “semester”, everyone is given a “Groups” Handbook and are encouraged to join groups. Covenant is huge, so groups make Covenant seem smaller by giving you the opportunity to meet and learn with others. I currently attend the “Walk Through the Bible” Group and we are studying the New Testament.

I love Covenant. My life is changing in so many ways and I only have the Lord God Almighty to thank for that. I am so grateful to him for loving me and being so patient with me. He really is my EVERYTHING and I am honored to spend time in his home worshipping HIM! Thank you for stopping by :)

3 comments:

DeNiece Barnes said...

While it really is a small world go pirates. Hello my name is DeNiece and I just moved from Winterville we lived right down the street from South Central but we just moved an hour away to Goldsboro just last month. I to know the church you are talking about on Firetower road right. This is such a small world. Just stopping in to say hello to a fellow north Carolina and pirate fan.

Becca said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog :) I grew up in Greenville. When I was about 13, I wasn't officially allowed to date but my parents would let me go to church with my boyfriend and his mother. That church was Covenant!! I really enjoyed it there! Such a small world!

Becca said...

Hi! Both my husband and I graduated from DH Conley just like you! Though, we didn't graduate until 2005. We are a bit young to be married with two kiddos. =)
I was just reading your daughters 27 month old post. She sounds too precious. Hope y'all have a great week!
Oh and I'm your newest follower!