Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A New Kind of Busy and Wordful Wednesday

We have been super busy, so I have a lot of updates!

First and Foremost- I love Danica’s new room at school. She is learning sign language and can now count to 20 (although I taught her to count to 14!). I started going over the days of the week and the months of the year 6 months ago and she started to pick up a few. However, she learned songs about the days and months and is now singing all the words! I am super impressed and very happy! We couldn’t have picked a better preschool for our baby girl!

I’ve been super busy as well! I’ve recently been nominated a board member for a local non-profit I used to work for. My undergraduate degree is in Family and Community Service. Once I graduated, I worked for them from 2000-2006. During that time, I completed my Master’s Degree in Higher Educational Counseling and started working at a community college out of town. This allowed Joe to take a job out of town as well, and that is why we moved. And since we lived in one county and commuted to work in another, I neglected my work with service agencies. So when we moved back, I immediately reconnected with my old job. I am very excited that I will be able to help them in another capacity! I’ve already attended my first board meeting and will be helping them coordinate their 40th Anniversary Party!

I also joined the Junior Women’s Association. It’s a group of women whose mission is to provide service and raise funds for local non-profit organizations. Last year, they assisted Habitat for Humanity, the Food Bank, Ronald McDonald House, and the Boys and Girls Club. This year, they have partnered with two additional agencies- Literacy Volunteers of Pitt County and RHA Howell. Each member must perform 16 hours of service in a year. In addition, we will help coordinate fundraisers and divide the dollars between our partner agencies. I met with those ladies for the first time last night. We meet once a month and can begin our service hours almost immediately.  I am looking forward to helping these agencies and meeting new people! 

Fall also means new bible study groups at Covenant! Joe and I signed up for Financial Peace University.  Our pastor taught biblical principles regarding money the past two Sundays. I was happy to learn that we are doing a good job as some of the principles he taught are ones that we have already implemented. But we are not perfect, so I’m looking forward to learning more about God’s word as it relates to budgeting! Everyone could use some help in that department!

ECU football season has begun! We went to the first home game this past weekend and tailgated with Joe’s cousin, Kendall. Although we lost, we had so much fun! There’s nothing like ECU football! And Greenville is a GREAT place for college football. Close to 50,000 people tailgate and attend the games!

Now that I have found a wonderful church home, have started volunteering in the community, and have attended our first home game, I almost feel at home. All that is missing is a sell on our Franklinton house and a move into a Greenville one. I pray every day that we will sell the house soon, but I know there is a reason for everything- so I will embrace what the Lord is trying to teach me.

This has been long, I know. There is a lot going on with us. Before I go, though, I want to share a Danica funny in honor of Wordful Wednesday!  I say "woo-hoo" a lot! I love life, so when I talk to someone about something I'm getting ready to do that I'm excited about, I always end with something like, "woo-hoo", "yahoo", "alright", etc. Danica has started doing it, too. There was a two week break between her gymnastics classes. It certainly didn't go unnoticed, as she asked for gymnastics just about everyday. She started her new class on Monday night, so I talked to her about gymnastics Sunday night before bedtime. She was so excited, she started jumping on the bed and shouted as loud as she could, "I'M GOING TO GYMNASTICS TOMORROW! WOO-HOO!". 

Have a great week everyone!

No comments: