Monday, October 7, 2013

September 2013

September started with ECU's first home FOOTBALL game! Go Pirates! We took both kids with us to the tailgate. They had so much fun playing and Maverick took his afternoon nap in the parking lot of lower minges. He's a trooper! Mema picked the kids up so Joe and I could go to the game. And ECU won! ARRGGHH!

We celebrated Mema's birthday on the 3rd. We invited her over to our house for dinner. I made my famous manicotti and served a delicious store bought chocolate cake. Happy Birthday Mema!

School started September 4! Joe and I took off that morning so we could take Danica to school and meet her teachers. We had to miss open house due to our vacation, so it was time for us to meet them and get acquainted with her classroom. They learn a different letter each week and end with show and tell on Friday when they bring a toy that starts with the letter. Every Tuesday night, we help Danica write words for Jake. They are words that start with the letter of the week. We cut out strips of paper and get her dictionary so we can find words. She also has chapel on Wednesdays and is learning parts to a song each week about God creating the earth. The point of the song is to help the kids memorize bible verses. I was floored the day she came home and said "Genesis 1:1". I asked her is she knew what "Genesis" was and she told me it was in the bible. Smart girl! I'm so excited about her new school and everything she is learning. And I changed my lunch break so I can pick her up everyday after school- so I get to hear all about her fun day!

September has been about getting back into routine for sure! In addition to school starting, ballet and gymnastics started again as well. She now has gymnastics on Mondays and ballet on Tuesdays. And we also registered her for lunch bunch on Wednesdays. She is a busy bee- which means we are busy :)

Maverick is doing awesome! Still no signs of walking yet, but he will let go and stand for seconds without even realizing it. When he finally realizes what he is doing, he'll go for it. But for now, whenever I move something away from him, he will get down and crawl. We took him to the doctor for his 9 month wellness appointment and he got his 6 month shots. We are a bit behind because we missed his 4 month appointment. But since babies don't usually get shots at 9 months, he was able to get them and get caught up. I'm still feeding him, but we've introduced a lot of table food- so he has a breakfast, lunch, and dinner each day. We are mostly feeding him fruits and vegetables; some meats and some beans. He also loves goldfish! I just bought him his first set of sippy cups and he is drinking some water with his meals. When I switch him to whole milk, I'm going to give it to him in a sippy cup, so I wanted to get him practicing.

He is also "talking". He says "ball" and loves balls. He also points his finger in the air and says, "up". He says, "uh-oh" when he drops something and "thank you" when you give him something (and ask him to say it so he can repeat what you are saying). He makes a noise when he points at something so you will look, too. And when he sees food, he has mastered, "mmmmmm". It's his way of saying he wants some- so funny!

I ended September with a conference in Greensboro that kept me away from the kids for two nights. It was the first time I was away from Maverick. Mema stayed over to help Joe with the kids. It was really hard. It was a good conference, but I really wanted to be at home with them. The best part of the trip was the shopping I got to do for them. There was a Carter's store just up the street from the hotel, so I bought each of them a couple of outfits. When I got home, we took the kids to see one of Danica's friends from her old school and then Joe had a couple of guys over on Saturday to watch ECU's football game against UNC. 

Danica is now helping me decorate for fall/Halloween. She wants to be Mariposa for Halloween and she already has the dress. I just need to find Maverick a costume. I also need to start making plans for Maverick's first birthday party. We are going to have a train party! Choo Choo! So excited!

No comments: